Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Be Merry!


Every day we spend with Audrey takes us one day further from the life we had before she came along. Don't get me wrong, life gets better every day with our sweetheart. But sometimes memories of a simpler time are impossible to ignore, especially when you're trying to make a bottle. Try measuring formula, pouring water, putting all 4 pieces (yes, 4!) together, shake and test the temperature with one hand while two tiny ones reach frantically for it. It should be some sort of Olympic sport!

One of these flashbacks haunted me while Audrey I was getting some much needed caffeine at Starbucks. Let me just say, I absolutely love this time of year for so many reasons but the Starbucks holiday drinks are hard to beat. I was looking forward to my hot peppermint mocha before the munchkin and I did a little Christmas shopping. We had already been out running errands for a while and Audrey was starting to get hungry. I ordered my drink, grabbed a table, and fed Audrey as I eagerly anticipated that first sip of Christmas in a cup.

disclaimer: if you don't have children, are never around children, or don't care to know about what those children can do in their diapers...stop reading.

Mid-bottle, Audrey started grunting, loudly. While a few people around us thought it was funny, I watched (while still chugging her bottle) as her little face got red and her eyes started watering. I knew what was happening. I let her finished her meal and then off we went to the bathroom. Someone needs to rethink the diaper changing stations in these bathrooms, but that's another issue.

I learned very quickly after Audrey was born to pack one multiple extra outfits in her diaper bag for occasions like this. Slipping a very dirty onesie over a squirming baby's head while not making the situation messier is a skill in itself. Anyways, Audrey was successfully cleaned and changed (after running out of wipes and having to use wet paper towels on her poor little tush = mom-fail). Excited the ordeal was over, I picked Audrey up and she spit up all down the front of my shirt. Maybe she wanted me to change my clothes too?

Needless to say, my coffee was completely cold and I was in a less festive mood than when I had started. Long gone are the days of quietly sipping hot coffee and people watching. Good thing she's cute! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment